Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wedding Reflections

As my friends know, yesterday I was lucky enough to get married to a very beautiful woman. Now that the madness is over and we are in recoup/recharge mode, I told myself that I wanted to write something about the wedding process for the past few days. At the thought of doing that, I made myself laugh when it dawned on me that I may be reverting to my RA days and basically filling out a program eval for the wedding. That really isn't the case although it may seem like it, but there were a lot of really awesome/funny things that happened that I liked in the wedding hoopla. As I sit back and reflect on everything, a few thoughts stand out in my mind and will probably be the things I remember looking back on the wedding in the years to come.

  • I am incredibly lucky to have Tracy in my life. I am not sure what exactly I have done to trick her into marrying me, but once I figure that out I should both can and sell it to the masses.
  • Tracy and I have some of the best friends and family we could ever ask for. Even for the ones who did not attend the wedding (long list of who we wanted to invite, but limited seating), the support that was shown through the whole process was heartwarming. Seeing people come together to help you out with something simply because they care about you is one of the most amazing things a person can experience. I look forward to doing the same for as many of those who helped us out as I can one day, in whatever way I possibly can.
  • On a similar note, I love the way clean up happened at the reception. From what my parents told me (and from knowing how many Housing people were in attendance), everything was wrapped up super fast like they were closing down a big program or something. People instinctively wrapping things up while laughing and joking at the same time. Between that and the good time that people seemed to have, I am thinking that we have a good shot at getting Program of the Year!
  • The toasts were the perfect mix of silly and sweet. I especially loved the incorporation of the Qui Gon quotes into my best man's speech.
  • Josh and Amanda on the dance floor receiving a round of applause from the crowd was awesome.
  • After seeing how the rain let up and was timed perfectly around the ceremony (starting back up once the reception started) I am now certain that my faithful following of the new Thor comic has paid off. It seemed that the Odinson smiled down on us yesterday and held back the downpour while gracing us with good weather.
  • Having someone tell you, "You got served" after getting wedding cake is a tad more disarming than you might expect...especially if that person is seven years old. I mean, what hope of a comeback did I honestly have.
  • Strangely enough, I only realized in the past few days that, in order to key in "Mom" on my cell phone, I need to type 666.
  • I feel weird for having bought over 100 pounds of ice and still worrying that I did not have enough.
  • You know that feeling you get when people stare at you...how you can feel them staring at you without you even seeing them? I think I know why you can feel their stares. I am fairly confident that having a lot of people stare at you intently seems to slow down time. Our first dance song (Anyone Else But You by the Moldy Peaches) seemed A LOT longer than 2:59. In my mind, there is no other explanation for it.
  • Seeing my cousin's 6 year old daughter and my 8 year old nephew dance to crank day is pretty much youtube worthy.
  • Baker challenging my mom and aunt to a dance off, although unintentional, was quite hilarious.
  • I must admit that walking out of the ceremony while The Throne Room/End Title music from Star Wars: A New Hope was playing was the perfect way to end the ceremony. Even though most people know what the song is when they here it, I will throw it in right here so you can give it a good listen and think about how much of an adult I am for doing that :)




That was in no way all of the stuff that was awesome about the wedding, but in my delirium since only getting a few hours of sleep thanks to those damn chirping birds, that is most of the stuff that stands out for now. I am now off to nap for a bit with my wife (love saying that, but I LOVE typing it), read some comics (I finally got Young Avengers/Runaways for both Civil War and Secret Invasion) and then probably head out to see Terminator again with my wife (had to toss it in one more time). For anyone who might be interested, look out for upcoming blogs on racial representation in geek set cartoons and/or, one of my favorite topics, time travel. If any of the two people who read this have an ideas for what I could blog about, please feel free to let me know in whatever way you can.

May the force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment